Matthew 4:17 [NKJV], From that time, Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand [has arrived]."
"REPENT, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
"Repent, for the KINGDOM of heaven is at hand."
Repent means, "to turn away from."
John 3:1-3 [NLT], There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. 2 After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. "Rabbi," he said, "we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you." 3 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see [enter] the Kingdom of God."
Repentance is the front door into the kingdom.
Colossians 1:13-14 [NLT], For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, 14 who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.
People have not rejected the kingdom, they have reduced it.
The message of the kingdom has been reduced to...
• get out of jail free card
• eternal fire insurance policy
• quick relief from guilt and shame
• moral system
• list of do's and don't's
• church attendance
• social club
Romans 14:17 [TPT], For the kingdom of God is not a matter of rules about food and drink, but is in the realm of the Holy Spirit, filled with righteousness, peace and joy.
Shouldn't we desire to know what the kingdom is about?
1. He is a king
• He is the eternal King [1 Tim. 1:17]
• He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords [Rev. 19:16]
2. He is a benevolent king
• God is love [1 Jn. 4:8]
• God is holy [Rev. 4:8]
3. He rules a kingdom
"The Kingdom is God's way of doing things."
"The Kingdom of God is not a geographical place, but it is the realm/sphere where He rules, reigns, and has authority and dominion over everything and everybody, everywhere...past, present and future."
As believers we are citizens of a heavenly kingdom.
4. He taught and demonstrated the kingdom
"The Kingdom of heaven is like..."
• "a man who sowed good seed in his field" [Mt. 13:24]
• "a mustard seed" [Mt. 13:31]
• "leaven" [Mt. 13:33]
• "treasure hidden in a field" [Mt. 13:44]
• "a merchant seeking beautiful pearls" [Mt. 13:45]
• "a dragnet that was cast into the sea" [Mt. 13:47]
• "a homeowner who brings out his treasure" [Mt. 13:52]
• "a certain king who wanted to settle accounts" [Mt. 18:23]
• "a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers" [Mt. 20:1]
• "a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son" [Mt. 22:2]
• "a man traveling to a far country" [Mt. 25:14]
Matthew 9:35-37 [NLT], Jesus traveled through all the towns and villages of that area, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And he healed every kind of disease and illness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
5. He came to restore the kingdom
Luke 11:2 [NKJV], Your kingdom come your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
6. We have been entrusted with the kingdom
Luke 12:32 [NKJV], ...for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.